Armed with limited, and often biased, information and faced with rising prescription drug costs, our patients continue to self-medicate with a variety of prescription and non-prescription drug products. Many patients add or substitute prescription and non-prescription drug products in their medication regimen, unaware of potentially serious adverse outcomes and often without mention during a review of their medical history. This program will provide participants with an overview of the dental considerations of the most popular prescription and non-prescription drugs and supplements which our patients use to self-medicate. Using case scenarios, special emphasis will be given to techniques useful in successfully identifying self-medication and obtaining a complete patient medication history.
Upon successful completion of this program, participants will be able to:
· Identify the most common prescription and non-prescription drugs used
to self-medicate and their potential dental considerations.
· Identify the most common herbal products and nutritional supplements
used to self-medicate and their potential dental considerations.
· Identify the most common licit and illicit substances of abuse and
dependence and their impact on dental therapy.
· Discuss techniques useful in identifying self-medication and obtaining a
complete and accurate medication history.
· Discuss strategies necessary for successfully managing self-medicating